MAIN HIGHLIGHTS OF THE RESULTS CONCERNING THE 3RD QUARTER 2019 (3Q19)
- Sonae’s consolidated turnover increased 9% in 3Q19, to 1,674 M€, and 10% in the first nine months of the year to 4,635 M€
- Improvement of operational profitability, with the underlying EBITDA increasing 21% in 3Q19, to 162 M€, and 24% during 9M19, to 402 M€
- Net income group share more than doubled in 3Q19, from 24 M€ to 50 M€
- Investment rose to 275 M€ in 9M19, more than 1 M€ a day, reflecting organic expansion and acquisitions
- Net debt decreased 113 M€ on a comparable basis
Cláudia Azevedo, Sonae CEO, states: "Sonae maintained a strong operational performance in Q3, thus consolidating the positive results reached in the first half of the year.
Consolidated turnover increased 9% yoy to €1.7 Bi in the quarter and 10% to €4.6 Bi in YTD terms. This strong growth level was mainly driven by Sonae MC but also by a number of acquisitions completed in the last 12 months, more notably the 20% stake in Sonae Sierra and a controlling stake in Arenal at Sonae MC. But even without these acquisitions, growth would have reached 5% in the first nine months of the year.
Profitability also continued to improve. Underlying EBITDA increased 21% yoy in the quarter and 24% in the first nine months of the year. I would like to highlight the benchmark profitability level at Sonae MC, the good performance of ISRG and the solid improvements at Sonae Fashion in the quarter. Direct income increased 43% yoy in Q3 and RoIC reached 9.8% in the last 12 months, close to our medium-term target of 10%.
In terms of portfolio management, Sonae Sierra completed the merger of Sonae Sierra Brasil with Aliansce Shopping Centers. The merits of this merger have been well recognised by capital markets in Brazil and the first signs of the integration process reinforce our confidence in the value creation potential of this transaction. Also during the quarter, Sonae IM sold WeDo to Mobileum Inc., generating a €17 M capital gain for Sonae.
Sonae’s Balance Sheet remains strong with Net Debt decreasing €20 M yoy, €113 M on a comparable basis, another clear demonstration of the cash generation ability of our underlying assets.
As the end of the year approaches, we will remain focused on driving strategy execution in each business in order to make 2019 a successful year for Sonae and all our stakeholders”.
Full press release attached